The Clear Kayak & SUP Experience
Frequently Asked Questions & Our Rules and Regulations
Q. Do you launch at Sand Harbor?
A. We do not. At this time we only launch at our location located right by the beach in Kings Beach, CA.
Q. Can we paddle to Sand Harbor or Secret Cove from Kings Beach, CA?
A. Unfortunately, those two places are 10+ miles from our launch spot and much too far to paddle in one of our kayaks.
Q. What will we see on our adventure?
A. We know the word on the street these days is that places like Secret Cove and Sand Harbor are the places to see and it is believed that you will only find the clear and turquoise water there, but we are here to tell you that Lake Tahoe is covered in turquoise shores and crystal clear water! One of our favorite places to go is just a paddle away from our location and it is absolutely stunning! It is secluded, only accessible by watercraft, surrounded by boulders and there’s lots of little coves to explore (you might even see a fish or two!)..
Note* Most of our photos are taken at this location; not the East Shore as it may appear.
Q. Will I get wet?
A. Yes. Although you will be sitting in a kayak-canoe hybrid, do expect to get a little wet. Whether it be from the splashing of the paddles or the naturally occurring movement of the lake; you are bound to feel a little bit of that cool, Tahoe water during your journey. Come prepared and dress accordingly.
Q. Is there a place to store our things?
A. Each kayak has a dry bag to store your items. They are of decent size, but try to pack light and bring only the necessities to make your adventure comfortable and enjoyable.
Q. What do you recommend we bring?
A. Suggested Items:
Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat, Towel, Clothes you don’t mind getting wet, Clothes for after the journey, Comfortable Water/Beach Shoes, Drinks and Snacks (Alcohol Prohibited) and a Camera with a waterproof case for all the many, many magical moments you are going to want to capture.
Q. We have small children; can they go on this adventure and do the kayaks fit 2 adults and 1 child?
A. Kiddos 5 and up are more than welcome to partake in this fun experience! But they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Minors over 14 may ride solo.
Also, our kayaks only seat up to two persons, so 2 adults and 1 child in one kayak is not permitted.
Q. How will the rental go?
A. One of our Travel Ambassadors will meet you at our location with the equipment. You will read over and sign our Kayak Rental Equipment Agreement/Waiver and Release of Liability. Once that is complete, you will be shown the equipment and instructed on how to use it, as well as, you will be given some expert guidance as to where you should explore if doing a self-guided rental. After that, you will carry the kayaks down to the launch location and your rental begins. Hop in and set sail.
Q. What is provided with the rental?
A. We provide:
Life Vests, Safety Equipment, Dry Bags, Wireless Bluetooth Speakers, Snorkel Equipment, Waterproof Phone Cases and much more!
Q. What is the best time to go kayaking?
A. Late afternoons tend to get windy, so we suggest going in the morning. It is common to experience smooth, glassy waters in the early mornings, but you can expect slightly cooler temps in the early summer months.
Q. Do you have recommendations on where we should go or are we on our own?
A. You are free to wander in any direction you desire, but our guides are very knowledgeable with the area and are always willing to share with you what there is to explore and how to get there. *Side Note: Every inch of Lake Tahoe is magnificent and has a view worth exploring.
Q. Is there anywhere we are not allowed to go?
A. The lake is yours to explore. Although, we do request that you please refrain from wandering too deep into the center of the lake. With the amazing winter we had, the lake is bound to be full of power boats this season and your safety is our biggest concern. Of course, keep an eye on the time and make sure you give yourself enough time to arrive back when scheduled.
Q. Is it easy to flip the kayaks?
A. No, it is not. The width and depth of the kayaks lessen your chances of capsizing. They are very stable and rather easy to get in and out of.
Q. Do I need to have kayaking experience?
A. Absolutely not! Our kayaks are incredibly easy to use and it doesn’t take much practice or skill to maneuver. A short instruction will be provided by one of our Ambassadors prior to launching to get you comfortable with the equipment.
Q. Will I tire easily?
A. As with most any outdoor activity, there will be some bit of exertion, but there is no need to hurry or travel far. You will be floating in an entirely clear kayak in one of the most picturesque landscapes in the world; what’s the rush? Check out that view and just cruise or stop and float for a while; do whatever suits you, just as long as you have fun!
Q. What are some safety concerns?
A. The only two concerns we have for our participants’ safety is the risk of hypothermia and rough waters caused by a windy day. We have had a record-breaking winter following a record-breaking drought and filling up the lake to a record-breaking level. All of that insane amount of snow is rapidly melting and flowing into the lake bringing the temperature down to a cool 59°F. A temperature that increases the risk of hypothermia. Also, our kayaks do not handle choppy conditions well, like your standard kayak would. Because of their shape, they do not carve through the waves and tend to take on a lot of water if the conditions become wavy. For that reason, as a necessary precaution, we request that all participants wear their buckled life vests at all times when enjoying the kayaks and head back immediately when the weather/water begins to change. Other than those concerns, the Crystal Kayak Experience is a very safe outdoor adventure.
Rules and Regulations
For cancellations, please contact us at least 48 hours before your scheduled rental to avoid being charged without possibility of refund. Any and all scheduling changes must be made prior to this 48 hour window, as well, and falls under the same policy. Last minute changes are subject to the same penalties as last minute cancellations and no-shows.
Our policy is written without exceptions.
Of course, the weather here in Lake Tahoe can be unpredictable, so please be aware of the possibility of cancellation if the weather does not permit and the conditions are unsafe. In these circumstances, full refund will be given. We appreciate your understanding.
Please abide by our rules and do not deny your fellow adventurers of this opportunity by making last minute changes. We have tons that are eagerly awaiting their chance to enjoy this experience. Thank you for your cooperation.
• **ALL adventurers MUST arrive on time, 20 minutes prior to scheduled launch time and return at the scheduled time. Late arrivals are at risk of cancellation WITHOUT refund. If you have not arrived 20 minutes after your scheduled start time, your reservation will be cancelled and your reserved kayaks will be given to one of the many people on our Cancellation List. We will not accommodate late arrivals by allowing our adventurers to go out for the remainder of their originally scheduled time and cannot adjust rental times when arriving late. For those who return the kayaks later than the scheduled return time; will be charged our hourly rate ($45/hr.) for every 30 minutes of the additional rental time not previously arranged with our staff. We have lots of adventurers looking forward to sharing this experience, so please respect their time and ours when thinking of extending your journey or arriving late without making prior arrangements with our staff. Absolutely no exceptions to the above rules.
• Arrive prepared. Please have all of your belongings that you would like to take on your adventure with you ready to go and sunscreen/beachwear on. We need you to arrive 20 minutes in advance to have you go over our waivers and receive a thorough instruction before heading out on the water. So, please arrive even earlier if you have personal things to take care of prior. As stated above, we CANNOT adjust start times due to you not arriving prepared as needed.
• We will need to take a copy of your Driver's License, so please be sure to bring that along with you at check-in.
• At this time, due to safety concerns brought on by the heavy winter and extremely cool waters, age limit is 5 years or older; please let us know ahead of time if a minor will be joining you.
• Weight Capacity per kayak is 400 lbs.
• All participants must wear buckled life jackets at all times on board the kayaks *One size fits most; please let us know prior to rental if youth or larger sized vest is needed. Our life jackets are approved by the Coast Guard, so you must wear the ones we provide. Personal life jackets are prohibited.
• All participants must rinse/shake off all the sand/debris from their clothing, personal items and selves before getting in the kayaks.
• Minors must be accompanied in the kayak at all times. *There are some exceptions to this rule (school trips, kids’ camps, etc) and other written permissions apply.
• We do not allow participants to transport our kayaks.
• We love our furry friends, but they will have to stay home for this adventure.
• Please do not bring glass items of any kind.
• No alcohol allowed. This is a booze free adventure, so please save the alcoholic refreshments for after.
• Please be mindful of your surroundings. We appreciate our participants’ contributions to the protection and conservation of this beautiful lake. Pack it in, pack it out and Keep Tahoe Blue. *If you are having trouble finding trash cans on your journey, please leave whatever it is in the kayak and one of our Travel Ambassadors will be happy to dispose of it.
• If you are needing to cancel your adventure; please do so at least 48 hours in advance to receive a full refund. Within the 24 hour window, no refund will be provided.