Q. Do you launch at Sand Harbor?
A. We do not. At this time we only launch at our location located right by the beach in Kings Beach, CA.
Q. Can we paddle to Sand Harbor or Secret Cove from Kings Beach, CA?
A. Unfortunately, those two places are 10+ miles from our launch spot and much too far to paddle in one of our kayaks.
Q. What will we see on our adventure?
A. We know the word on the street these days is that places like Secret Cove and Sand Harbor are the places to see and it is believed that you will only find the clear and turquoise water there, but we are here to tell you that Lake Tahoe is covered in turquoise shores and crystal clear water! One of our favorite places to go is just a paddle away from our location and it is absolutely stunning! It is secluded, only accessible by watercraft, surrounded by boulders and there’s lots of little coves to explore (you might even see a fish or two!)..
Note* Most of our photos are taken at this location; not the East Shore as it may appear.
Q. Will I get wet?
A. Yes. Although you will be sitting in a kayak-canoe hybrid, do expect to get a little wet. Whether it be from the splashing of the paddles or the naturally occurring movement of the lake; you are bound to feel a little bit of that cool, Tahoe water during your journey. Come prepared and dress accordingly.
Q. Is there a place to store our things?
A. Each kayak has a dry bag to store your items. They are of decent size, but try to pack light and bring only the necessities to make your adventure comfortable and enjoyable.
Q. What do you recommend we bring?
A. Suggested Items:
Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat, Towel, Clothes you don’t mind getting wet, Clothes for after the journey, Comfortable Water/Beach Shoes, Drinks and Snacks (Alcohol Prohibited) and a Camera with a waterproof case for all the many, many magical moments you are going to want to capture.
Q. We have small children; can they go on this adventure and do the kayaks fit 2 adults and 1 child?
A. Kiddos 5 and up are more than welcome to partake in this fun experience! But they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Minors over 14 may ride solo.
Also, our kayaks only seat up to two persons, so 2 adults and 1 child in one kayak is not permitted.
Q. How will the rental go?
A. One of our Travel Ambassadors will meet you at our location with the equipment. You will read over and sign our Kayak Rental Equipment Agreement/Waiver and Release of Liability. Once that is complete, you will be shown the equipment and instructed on how to use it, as well as, you will be given some expert guidance as to where you should explore if doing a self-guided rental. After that, you will carry the kayaks down to the launch location and your rental begins. Hop in and set sail.
Q. What is provided with the rental?
A. We provide:
Life Vests, Safety Equipment, Dry Bags, Wireless Bluetooth Speakers, Snorkel Equipment, Waterproof Phone Cases and much more!
Q. Where do we launch the kayaks/SUPs?
A. We are located right above a CA State Park Beach. We set you up with all of the equipment and attach a trolley to each of the kayaks/SUPs for you. You will then roll the kayaks/SUPs on down to the water via the boat launch that is strictly for non-motorized watercraft use. You will detach the trolleys, bring them with you and reattach when you return. You will be required to wheel the kayaks/SUPs on back to us when you have completed your adventure. You will get a little extra workout before and after your adventure transporting the equipment, so do be prepared! But the launch is a short walk from our location (about 30 yards) and the kayaks are much lighter than a standard kayak (under 40 pounds), so it is relatively easy! Majority of our adventurers do just fine!
Q. What is the best time to go kayaking?
A. Late afternoons tend to get windy, so we suggest going in the morning. It is common to experience smooth, glassy waters in the early mornings, but you can expect slightly cooler temps in the early summer months.
Q. Do you have recommendations on where we should go or are we on our own?
A. You are free to wander in any direction you desire, but our guides are very knowledgeable with the area and are always willing to share with you what there is to explore and how to get there. *Side Note: Every inch of Lake Tahoe is magnificent and has a view worth exploring.
Q. Is there anywhere we are not allowed to go?
A. The lake is yours to explore. Although, we do request that you please refrain from wandering too deep into the center of the lake. With the amazing winter we had, the lake is bound to be full of power boats this season and your safety is our biggest concern. Of course, keep an eye on the time and make sure you give yourself enough time to arrive back when scheduled.
Q. Is it easy to flip the kayaks?
A. No, it is not. The width and depth of the kayaks lessen your chances of capsizing. They are very stable and rather easy to get in and out of.
Q. Do I need to have kayaking experience?
A. Absolutely not! Our kayaks are incredibly easy to use and it doesn’t take much practice or skill to maneuver. A short instruction will be provided by one of our Ambassadors prior to launching to get you comfortable with the equipment.
Q. Will I tire easily?
A. As with most any outdoor activity, there will be some bit of exertion, but there is no need to hurry or travel far. You will be floating in an entirely clear kayak in one of the most picturesque landscapes in the world; what’s the rush? Check out that view and just cruise or stop and float for a while; do whatever suits you, just as long as you have fun!
Q. What are some safety concerns?
A. The only two concerns we have for our participants’ safety is the risk of hypothermia and rough waters caused by a windy day. We have had a record-breaking winter following a record-breaking drought and filling up the lake to a record-breaking level. All of that insane amount of snow is rapidly melting and flowing into the lake bringing the temperature down to a cool 59°F. A temperature that increases the risk of hypothermia. Also, our kayaks do not handle choppy conditions well, like your standard kayak would. Because of their shape, they do not carve through the waves and tend to take on a lot of water if the conditions become wavy. For that reason, as a necessary precaution, we request that all participants wear their buckled life vests at all times when enjoying the kayaks and head back immediately when the weather/water begins to change. Other than those concerns, the Crystal Kayak Experience is a very safe outdoor adventure.
Q. What are the travel times to get to your location and where should we park?
A. We suggest visiting:
It is a helpful source for travel times to Kings Beach from the various surrounding areas and also has a map of the multiple free and public parking lots nearby. Kings Beach is home to one of the most popular beaches on the North Shore. Because of this, the parking lots tend to fill up quite early and the roads become very congested. Please give yourself LOTS of extra time to travel to us and find parking. Kings Beach is a fun, little town to walk around and explore if you arrive early and have time to spare before your adventure. It is always better to be early than late. Remember, we have a VERY strict Cancellation and Late Arrival Policy and we WILL NOT make exceptions for late arrivals due to traffic conditions and/or parking difficulties.
Tips and Tidbits
• The kayaks can act as quite a reflector of the sun, so be sure not to forget to lather up on the sunscreen before and throughout your adventure. Hats are a great addition to your attire, as well.
• Hydrate. We always recommend bringing your own cool, hydrating beverages.
•. These kayaks do a bit of bobbing, so if you are prone to motion/sea sickness, we recommend taking an antihistamine like Dramamine prior to your adventure.
• Wear items you aren’t afraid to get wet because getting wet cannot be avoided.
• Leave your prized possessions at home. We provide dry bags that do well at keeping your things free of moisture, but sometimes the world works in mysterious ways and things could get wet, so please take the necessary precautions to prevent accidents. Some like to store their phones and other related items in Ziploc bags.
• Be prepared to get a workout! This is an active experience and you will need to exert some energy to get these kayaks/SUPs moving. But please don't overdo it! Take breaks when necessary and don't feel pressured to paddle a long distance. Lake Tahoe is gorgeous from every angle, so try to just enjoy and appreciate it; even if you do not make it very far or all the way to the location seen in lots of our pictures! Also, we have strict rules set up by the CA State Parks where you launch that do not allow us to assist our adventurers with the transport to and from the water, so all adventurers will have to bring them there and back themselves. But we do set you up with trolleys to make it MUCH easier on you and the stroll down to the water is a short one and not too strenuous!
• Be sure to relax and really take in the scenery. There is so much beauty to be seen and natural wonders to discover; soak it up.
Rules and Regulations
For Rental cancellations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least 1 week before your scheduled rental to avoid being charged without possibility of refund. Any and all scheduling changes must be made prior to this 1 week window, as well, and falls under the same policy. Possibility of schedule changes is not guaranteed. Last minute changes and those made within that 1 week window are subject to the same penalties as last minute cancellations and no-shows (no refunds). A $25 fee will apply to ALL cancellations and reservation changes (fee per change).
For Tour cancellations, please contact email@example.com at least 2 weeks prior to your scheduled tour to avoid being charged without possibility of refund. Any and all scheduling changes must be made prior to this 2 week window, as well, and falls under the same policy. Last minute changes and those made within that 2 week window are subject to the same penalties as last minute cancellations and no-shows (no refunds). A $25 fee will apply to ALL cancellations and reservation changes (fee per change).
We also ask that you do not schedule multiple days or times to save those time slots while you confirm your plans and decide which to keep or in hopes that we will have the correct number of kayaks you are needing, but not seeing available upon booking. Doing so takes away opportunities for other adventurers to book and is not fair to them. We will charge a minimum fee of at least $40 PER KAYAK when this is done.
Our policy is written without exceptions.
Of course, the weather here in Lake Tahoe can be unpredictable, so please be aware of the possibility of cancellation if the weather does not permit and the conditions are unsafe. In these circumstances, full refund will be given. We appreciate your understanding.
Please abide by our rules and do not deny your fellow adventurers of this opportunity by making last minute changes. We have tons that are eagerly awaiting their chance to enjoy this experience. Thank you for your cooperation.
For Booking Errors:
Correction of accidental booking errors can be made free of charge if correction request is made within 24 hours of when booking was made. For resolution, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
**ALL adventurers MUST arrive on time, 20 minutes prior to scheduled launch time and return at the scheduled time. Late arrivals are at risk of cancellation WITHOUT refund. If you have not arrived 20 minutes prior to your scheduled start time, your reservation will be cancelled and your reserved kayaks will be given to one of the many people on our Cancellation List. We will not accommodate late arrivals by allowing our adventurers to go out for the remainder of their originally scheduled time and cannot adjust rental times when arriving late. For those who return the kayaks later than the scheduled return time; will be charged our hourly rate ($60/hr.) for every 30 minutes of the additional rental time not previously arranged with our staff. We have lots of adventurers looking forward to sharing this experience, so please respect their time and ours when thinking of extending your journey or arriving late without making prior arrangements with our staff. Absolutely no exceptions to the above rules.
• Arrive prepared. Please have all of your belongings that you would like to take on your adventure with you ready to go and sunscreen/beachwear on. We need you to arrive 20 minutes in advance to have you go over our waivers and receive a thorough instruction before heading out on the water. So, please arrive even earlier if you have personal things to take care of prior. As stated above, we CANNOT adjust start times due to you not arriving prepared as needed.
Rules for our Adventures:
• We will need to take a copy of your Driver's License, so please be sure to bring that along with you at check-in.
• At this time, due to safety concerns brought on by the heavy winter and extremely cool waters, age limit is 5 years or older; please let us know ahead of time if a minor will be joining you.
• Weight Capacity per kayak is 375 lbs.
• All participants must wear buckled life jackets at all times on board the kayaks *One size fits most; please let us know prior to rental if youth or larger sized vest is needed. Our life jackets are approved by the Coast Guard, so you must wear the ones we provide. Personal life jackets are prohibited.
• All participants must rinse/shake off all the sand/debris from their clothing, personal items and selves before getting in the kayaks.
• Minors must be accompanied in the kayak at all times. *There are some exceptions to this rule (school trips, kids’ camps, etc) and other written permissions apply.
• We do not allow participants to transport our kayaks.
• We have updated our pet policy for the 2021 season. Pets under 30 lbs. are now allowed on our clear kayak adventures (not SUPs), but the following rules apply:
*All pets must have all vaccinations
*Pets must wear life vest & leash at least 6ft long at all times (you must bring your own, as we do not provide these items)
*Pets must be accompanied by an adult (18+)
*Must be well behaved and have a towel or mat under their spot on the kayaks at all times (towels & mats not provided)
*There will be a $25 pet fee charged at the time of your rental.
• Please do not bring glass items of any kind.
• No alcohol allowed. This is a booze free adventure, so please save the alcoholic refreshments for after.
• Please be mindful of your surroundings. We appreciate our participants’ contributions to the protection and conservation of this beautiful lake. Pack it in, pack it out and Keep Tahoe Blue. *If you are having trouble finding trash cans on your journey, please leave whatever it is in the kayak and one of our Travel Ambassadors will be happy to dispose of it.
For lost, stolen or damaged kayaks and/or SUPs and provided equipment & accessories, we will charge adventurer's card on file or require payment upon return (or lack thereof). There will be a fee of $75 or more for any major scratches to our kayaks and SUPs. Adventurers must agree to take full financial responsibility for any lost, stolen or damaged items included in our adventures, as stated in the required and signed Liability Waiver Form.
Replacement costs for damaged equipment are as follows:
Clear Kayak: $1,900
Skeg (fin on back): $75
Life Vests: $50
Life Preserver Cushion: $40
Bilge Pump: $25
Wireless Speaker: $50
Dry Bag: $30
Selfie Stick: $20
ALL participants must complete our Kayak Rental Equipment Agreement, Waiver and Release of Liability form via DocuSign prior to your rental. Due to COVID 19, we have removed the option of completing a paper copy at the time of your rental to minimize contact. If the waiver is not completed by all participants prior to your rental, those participants will NOT be able to go on this Clear Kayak Adventure.
Follow this link to complete, sign and submit the waiver:
*Be sure to send the link to the rest of your group, so they may complete the waiver prior to your adventure!
The Clear Kayak & SUP Experience
Frequently Asked Questions & Our Rules and Regulations
North Lake Tahoe
*Please email your questions, concerns, inquiries and requests to the appropriate department. Emails will not receive a response if sent to the incorrect department.*
NOTE: We are incredibly understaffed and are receiving an overwhelming number of emails and calls daily. It will undoubtably take some time to respond to all emails, so we thank you for your understanding during this challenging time.
**This is a small business with a small number of amazing humans doing their absolute best to keep up with the higher than normal influx of visitors to this area and provide this magical experience to our lovely customers.
We are among the many, many local businesses that have been deeply impacted by the increase in demand and strains on the workforce, so we ask you to please be patient and please be kind.
Our website is jam-packed with helpful information. Please utilize the space and read through the FAQs page for our rules, regulations and tips!**
*If the answer to your question can be answered on our FAQs page, we will respond by directing you to it, so please read through the abundance of information that can be found there before sending an email.